Wednesday 10 April 2013

The Best Thing About Stretch Marks

I recently "took a break" from the Big Clean, and did something that I have been really dreading since becoming a Mom......(cue Psycho theme tune here).... bathing suit shopping .  Even though I've lost quite a bit of weight after having Eli, I still have the tell tale stretch marks running across my belly, so I decided to look for a one piece bathing suit.  Luckily, the experience didn't leave me wanting to crawl into a dark whole and hide until summer was over. In fact, I even relished the little shopping trip. It felt like some sort of right of passage....  I was going to be a sexy mom!  I was going to buy a classy, elegant one piece to wear with my big floppy hat and sunglasses while we are pretending it's warm basking in the sunshine down in Somerset this summer. You know what?  I totally bought one...I got a gorgeous bathing suit that I just adore, and the stretch marks were the perfect excuse to buy it.  Afterwards, I caught myself thinking, "This is the best part about stretch marks!" 

Then, I did a mental double take.  The best part? Huh.  I'd never really thought of my stretch marks as a positive thing until now.  After that, I took a moment to reflect on what stretch marks mean.  Ultimately, stretch marks are proof and representation of growth.  The best thing about stretch marks could be that they tell the story of our family. They remind me that physical perfection is not my number 1 priority (not. even. close.).  They tell me that my husband loves me both in spite of and because of these stretch marks.  They represent a changed marriage, and a more complete family.  They shout out how lucky I am to have had the opportunity to carry and give birth to a child, when there are women out there who would do anything for their own stretch marks. But, what is the very best thing about stretch marks? It is that they remind me of God's grace, and that I have been immeasurably blessed by the two men I get to share this life with. 

Now, I know this isn't a new idea. People say stretch marks are battle scars, (which is a bit of intense phrasing for my taste). I guess the other day was just my "A-ha!" moment, when I realised that stretch marks are a gift, and a reminder that I should never take the people I love for granted.  So, for all you women out there with stretch marks, I hope you have your own "A-ha!" moment, and that you cherish the beautiful little (or big) stories that those stretch marks tell. 

This is not my tummy (or my tan).  Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis