Saturday 27 April 2013

Pizza ....wait for it.... Poppers

So, when I was in baby shower planning mode, I also decided that some home made party food would be fun to serve.  I showed you my Caprese pop recipe earlier this week, and today's post is about Pepperoni Pizza Poppers! I was inspired by the idea of Jalapeno poppers.  (They were a no-go,, because I was afraid some of the older British ladies might scoff at anything spicier than a potato).  First, I tried a deep fried pizza popper recipe, and it was tasty.  Pepperoni? Good.  Mozarella? Good.  Deep fried? Goooood. Unfortunately, I just didn't think it was presentable enough to serve to guests, so after eating 3 1 of those for quality control purposes, I moved on to a new approach.

I decided to make them like mini calzones....it was pretty simple once I got the hang of dealing with the dough......lightly floured surface?  Yeah right.....try lots and lots of flour everywhere to prevent the dough from turning into a sticky mess.

Here's what you'll need:
Since I'm no dough expert, so I opted for a "just add water" pizza dough mix, which was really easy.  I could have made the sauce from scratch....but I didn't have time (I knew I would be cleaning my kitchen for weeks to get rid of all the flour! ;-)

Ingredients: 
1 pizza base mix
1/2 jar pasta sauce (and 1/2 jar to serve)
1 pack mini mozarella
1/2 pack pepperoni
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
Medium Biscuit Cutters
Fresh Basil to serve
Makes 20

Method:

1.Preheat oven to 180°C  (375°F)
2. Prepare toppings.... I just cut up the pepperoni and mozarella like so.
 3. Prepare pizza dough according to package instructions (or from scratch if you have the time for that sort of thing...who can wait for a whole HOUR for dough to rise?!)
4. Knead the dough and roll out on a WELL floured surface.
     5. Use a biscuit cutter to cut the dough into as many circles as you can.  Hints: My biscuit cutter was about 2" in diameter...next time I would use a larger one to keep the sauce from squidging out of the sides.  Also, you can combine the "scrap" pieces of dough into a ball and roll it out again to get more circles.
    6. Put a piece of parchment paper onto a pizza stone or baking tray, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Place the pizza dough circles onto the paper.
     6. Spoon about 1 1/4 tsp sauce onto each circle and add toppings.
     7. Fold the dough over and pinch it together around the edge.
     8. Brush with mozarella and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
     9. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown, and serve with basil garnish and the remaining sauce for dipping.

    Yum yum!

    Cute, right? Do you have any fun recipes for serving pizza as a party food? 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ShareThis